This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2020)
This is a list of notable people who have died in prison, whether in prison or in hospital while still serving a prison sentence. This list does not include inmates who were executed as punishment for their crimes.
|Name||Date of death||Nationality||Cause of death||Known for||Comments|
|John McAfee||2021-06-23||United Kingdom||“Everything points to death by suicide,” according to the Guardian, except a previous statement: 'If I suicide myself, I didn't.' ||Founded the software company McAfee Associates in 1987.|
|Mohamed Morsi||2019-06-17||Egypt||Egyptian state television announced on 17 June 2019 that Mohamed Morsi had collapsed during a court hearing on espionage charges at Cairo's Tora prison complex, and later died suddenly, reportedly of a heart attack.||Former President of Egypt|
|Bernie Madoff||2021-04-14||United States||Chronic kidney disease||Fraudster|
|Vercingetorix||during 46 BC||Gaul
(detained by the Roman Republic)
|Strangulation||Gaulish leader defeated by Julius Caesar|
|Philip Howard, 13th Earl of Arundel||1595-10-19||Kingdom of England||Dysentery||Imprisoned in the Tower of London as a Roman Catholic recusant by Elizabeth I of England. Acclaimed a martyr almost immediately and canonised in 1970 as one of the Forty Martyrs of England and Wales.|
|Wolfe Tone||1798-11-19|| Ireland
(detained by Great Britain)
|Suicide||Leader of the 1798 Irish Rebellion against Great Britain||Sentenced to death by hanging; committed suicide because he wanted to die by firing squad (a soldier's death, rather than a criminal's) instead.|
|Toussaint Louverture||1804-04-07|| Haiti
(detained by France)
|Natural causes||Leader of the Haitian Revolution who was imprisoned for launching a rebellion against France|
|Pedro Carujo||1836-01-31||Venezuela||Battle wounds||Military officer, one of the leaders in the Revolution of the Reforms|
|Anthony Van Egmond||1838-01-05||Netherlands||Pneumonia, malnutrition and exposure||Dutch war veteran and an early settler in the Huron Tract|
|Gavrilo Princip||1918-04-28||Austria-Hungary||Malnutrition and skeletal tuberculosis||Serbian assassin||Assassinated Archduke Franz Ferdinand, beginning World War I|
|Richard Loeb||1936-01-28||United States||Murdered by fellow inmate||American murderer|
|Nikolai Vavilov||1943-01-26||Soviet Union||Malnutrition||Russian botanist and geneticist who was imprisoned for his attempts to opposepseudoscience|
|Kasturba Gandhi||1944-02-22||India||Natural causes||Indian political activist and the wife of Mahatma Gandhi||Imprisoned in a detention camp in Pune for protesting and participating in the Quit India Movement.|
|Viktors Eglītis||1945-04-20||Latvia||Unknown||Leading figure in the Latvian decadent movement and an introducer of modernist poetics||Accused of being a fascist collaborator during the Soviet era.|
|Emil Hácha||1945-06-27||Czechoslovakia||Unknown||3rd President of Czechoslovakia, later of the Protectorate Bohemia and Moravia|
|Robert Ley||1945-10-25||Germany||Suicide by hanging||Nazi war criminal|
|Hermann Göring||1946-10-15|| Germany
(detained by the Allied Powers)
|Suicide by poison||Nazi war criminal|
|Rafael Simón Urbina||1950||Venezuela||Murder||Rebel|
|Fabricio Ojeda||1966||Venezuela||Suicide by hanging||Guerrilla leader, politician and journalist|
|Josef Bachmann||1970-02-24||West Germany||Suicide||Attempt to assassinate APO student leader Rudi Dutschke|
|Yuri Galanskov||1972-11-04||Soviet Union||Death from an operation by a former doctor (another inmate) without surgical qualifications||Russian poet, historian, and human rights activist, imprisoned for his writings|
|Albert DeSalvo||1973-11-25||United States||Murdered||The Boston Strangler|
|Steve Biko||1977-09-12||South Africa||Bludgeoned to death by South African police||South African anti-apartheid activist||Forty-sixth political detainee to die during interrogation since the government introduced laws permitting imprisonment without trial in 1963.|
|Andreas Baader||1977-10-18||West Germany||Suicide||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|Gudrun Ensslin||1977-10-18||West Germany||Suicide||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|Richard Chase||1980-12-26||United States||Suicide||American serial killer|
|Roy Buchanan||1988-08-14||United States||Suicide by hanging||American guitarist||His death is still the subject of fierce debate.|
|Klaus Barbie||1991-09-25|| Germany
(detained by France)
|Leukemia||Nazi war criminal|
|Walter Breen||1993-04-27||United States||Cancer||American child molester|
|Garry David||1993-07-11||Australia||Died from wounds caused by self-mutilation||Robbery and attempted murder|
|Jeffrey Dahmer||1994-11-28||United States||Beaten to death by fellow inmate Christopher Scarver||American serial killer and cannibal|
|Jesse Anderson||1994-11-30||United States||Beaten to death by fellow inmate Christopher Scarver||American murderer|
|Byron De La Beckwith||2001-01-21||United States||Heart attack||American white supremacist||Klansman from Greenwood, Mississippi who assassinated civil rights leader Medgar Evers on June 12, 1963.|
|Abu Abbas||2004-03-08||Palestine||Natural causes||Terrorist||Captured by American forces on 14 April 2003, the Pentagon reported Abbas died on 8 March 2004. US returned body to Palestine Red Crescent Society.|
|Clayton Fountain||2004-07-12||United States||Heart attack||Member of the Aryan Brotherhood|
|Samuel Bowers||2006-11-05||United States||Cardio-pulmonary arrest||American white supremacist||Co-founded the White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan and convicted of bombing death of civil rights leader Vernon Dahmer.|
|Antonie Dixon||2009-02-04||New Zealand||Suicide||New Zealand thief and murderer|
|Susan Atkins||2009-09-24||United States||Brain tumor||Member of the Manson family|
|Edarem||2012-01-08||United States||Lung cancer||American Internet personality|
|Heinrich Boere||2013-12-01||Germany||Natural causes||Nazi war criminal|
|Sandra Bland||2015-07-13||United States||Suicide (allegedly)||American motorist||Arrested for traffic violation on July 10 by State Trooper Brian Encinia. Encinia was indicted for perjury for making false statements about the circumstances of Bland's arrest. Waller County jail failed to follow required policies and procedures.|
|Omar Abdel-Rahman||2017-02-18|| Egypt
(detained by the United States)
|Coronary arterial disease||Terrorist|
|Whitey Bulger||2018-10-30||United States||Killed by prison inmates||American mobster|
|Jeffrey Epstein||2019-08-10||United States||Suicide||American financier and convicted sex offender|
|Ian Brady||2017||United Kingdom||Cancer||British serial killer|
|Ariel Castro||2013||United States||Suicide||Kidnapped and raped three American women for over a decade.|
|John Evander Couey||2009||United States||Cancer||Sex offender convicted of murdering Jessica Lunsford|
|Sigurd Debus||1981||West Germany||Hunger strike||Alleged member of the Red Army Faction|
|John Geoghan||2003||United States||Murdered by fellow inmate Joseph Druce||Catholic priest and child molester|
|Vincent Gigante||2005||United States||Oxygen deprivation||American Mafia boss||Boss of Genovese crime family|
|John Wayne Glover||2005||Australia||Suicide by hanging||Sydney Granny Murderer|
|John Gotti||2002||United States||Throat cancer||American Mafia boss|
|Ryan Gracie||2007||Brazil||Died as a result of brain injury||Brazilian mixed martial artist|
|Katharina Hammerschmidt||1975||West Germany||Untreated cancer||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|Charles Harrelson||2007||United States||Heart attack||Hitman, convicted of murdering U.S. Federal judge John H. Wood Jr.||Father of actor Woody Harrelson.|
|Donald Harvey||2017-03-30||United States||Killed by fellow inmate||Serial killer|
|Colin Hatch||2011||United Kingdom||Suspected homicide||Notorious murderer and child molester|
|Siegfried Hausner||1975||West Germany||Severe burns untreated in custody||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|Aaron Hernandez||2017-04-19||United States||Suicide||Former tight-end for NFL team New England Patriots, later convicted of murdering Odin Lloyd||Found not guilty of the 2012 double homicide of Daniel de Abreu and Safiro Furtado just 5 days before he was found dead.|
|Rudolf Hess||1987||Germany (held by the Four-Power Authorities)||Suicide||Nazi war criminal||Was the sole inmate in Spandau Prison from 1966 until his death. The prison was demolished afterwards|
|Myra Hindley||2002||United Kingdom||Died in hospital after heart attack in prison||British serial killer|
|Richard Huckle||2019||United Kingdom||Stabbed to death||British serial sex offender and paedophile|
|Colin Ireland||2012||United Kingdom||Died as a result of hip injury.||British serial killer of gay men|
|Ilse Koch||1967||West Germany||Suicide by hanging||Wife of the Commandant of Buchenwald concentration camp|
|Ronald Kray||1995||United Kingdom||Heart attack||British gangster and murderer, twin brother of Reginald Kray|
|David Lane||2007||United States||Epilepsy||American white nationalist|
|Brian Lawler||2018||United States||Suicide by hanging||Professional wrestler|
|Ervil LeBaron||1981||United States||Natural causes||American Mormon fundamentalist|
|Liu Shaoqi||1969||China||Pneumonia / unknown illness||Former Chairman of the People's Republic of China||Died of mistreatment as a result of political persecution during the Cultural Revolution|
|Liu Xiaobo||2017||China||Liver cancer||Prisoner of conscience||Nobel Peace Prize laureate (2010)|
|Sergei Magnitsky||2009||Russia||Closed cerebral cranial injury||Russian tax accountant who specialized in anti-corruption activities||Magnitsky alleged there had been large-scale theft from the Russian state, sanctioned and carried out by Russian officials. He was arrested and eventually died in prison.|
|Charles Manson||2017||United States||Natural causes||Leader of the Manson Family|
|Philip Markoff||2010||United States||Suicide||American murderer||Known as the "Craigslist killer"|
|Andrew Martinez||2006||United States||Suicide||Nude activist|
|Ulrike Meinhof||1976||West Germany||Suicide||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|Holger Meins||1974||West Germany||Hunger strike||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|Ivan Milat||2019||Australia||Natural causes||Murder|
|Slobodan Milošević||2006||Serbia||Heart attack||Serbian and Yugoslav president|
|Tjostolv Moland||2013||Norway (detained by the Democratic Republic of the Congo)||Suicide||Sentenced to death for murder, and espionage for Norway||Died in Congolese custody|
|Joe "Pegleg" Morgan||1993||Mexico (detained by the United States)||Liver cancer||Mexican Mafia leader|
|Dennis Nilsen||2018||United Kingdom||Pulmonary embolism||British serial killer|
|Lou Pearlman||2016||United States||Cardiac arrest||Manager of Backstreet Boys and *NSYNC|
|Carmine Persico||2019||United States||Natural causes||Boss of the Colombo crime family|
|Lawrence Phillips||01-13-2016||United States||Suicide||American football player||Phillips was facing the death penalty in the alleged murder of his former cellmate in April 2015.|
|Richard Ramirez||06-07-2013||United States||Cancer||American serial killer|
|Jan-Carl Raspe||1977||West Germany||Suicide||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|James Earl Ray||1998||United States||Hepatitis C||Convicted for assassination of Martin Luther King Jr.|
|Sarah Reed||2016||United Kingdom||Suicide/accidental death||On remand awaiting possible trial pending psychiatric reports||Charged with GBH with intent|
|Jack Ruby||1967||United States||Pulmonary embolism||American nightclub owner||
Murdered Lee Harvey Oswald.
|Bobby Sands||1981||United Kingdom||Hunger strike||Irish republican||Died along with 9 other Republicans on hunger strike. See 1981 Irish Hunger Strike|
|Gerard John Schaefer||1995||United States||Stabbed to death||American murderer|
|Ingrid Schubert||1977||West Germany||Suicide||Member of the Red Army Faction|
|Arthur Shawcross||2008||United States||Cardiac arrest||Serial killer|
|Harold Shipman||2004||United Kingdom||Suicide by hanging||British doctor who killed many of his patients|
|Richard Speck||12-05-1991||United States||Heart attack||American mass murderer|
|Phil Spector||01-16-2021||United States||Complications from COVID-19||American music producer||Was convicted of the 2003 murder of actress Lana Clarkson and was serving a 19 years to life prison sentence at the time of his death.|
|John Straffen||2007||United Kingdom||Natural causes||British serial killer||Longest-serving prisoner in British legal history, was in prison for 55 years until his death|
|Robert Stroud||1963||United States||Natural causes||The Birdman of Alcatraz|
|John Anthony Walker||2014||United States||Unknown||United States Navy Chief Warrant Officer convicted of spying for the Soviet Union from 1968 to 1985|
|Raoul Wallenberg||1947 or later|| Sweden
(believed to have been detained by the Soviet Union)
|Unknown (debated)||Extrajudicial punishment in Soviet Lefortovo prison||Diplomat, rescued Jews during the Holocaust|
|Fred West||1995||United Kingdom||Suicide by hanging||Multiple murders; was on remand awaiting trial|
|Edwin Valero||2010||Venezuela||Suicide||Professional boxer|
|Carl Williams||2010||Australia||Bludgeoned to death||Australian crime boss||Murdered by fellow inmate while serving sentence|
|Yip Kai Foon||2017||Hong Kong||Lung cancer||Hong Kong armed robber with AK-47|
|Carlos Andrés García||2017||Venezuela||Debated||Politician, councilman at the time of dearth||García suffered a stroke in detention. Security officials reportedly refused to give medical attention to García, ignored the orders to transfer him to a health center and did not give him medicines sent by his relatives. He was transferred to a hospital days afterwards.|
|Nelson Martínez||2017||Venezuela||Health complications||Minister of Petroleum and President of Petróleos de Venezuela|
|Fernando Albán||2018||Venezuela||Body fell from a tenth-floor of the headquarters of the Bolivarian Intelligence Service (SEBIN). Unofficially, Albán died before his fall and the autopsy revealed that water was found in his lungs.||Politician, councilman at the time of dearth||Initially ruled officially as a suicide, a version heavily disputed, authorities later admitted that Albán was killed during his detention.|
|Rafael Acosta Arévalo||2019||Venezuela||Widespread polytrauma, torture||Military officer with the rank of corvette captain||Died shortly after attending to a court hearing, arriving in a wheelchair and with serious indications of torture.|
|Graham Young||1990||United Kingdom||Heart attack||Poisoner||Died in Parkhurst prison. Heart attack is the official cause of death, but there has been speculation that other prisoners may have been responsible.|
|Romell Broom||2020||United States||COVID-19||Murder of Tryna Middleton.|
|Salvador Franco||2021||Venezuela||Tuberculosis and malnourishment.||Pemon political prisoner||Franco had COVID-19 and that for months suffered from gastrointestinal diseases related to the insalubrity of his penitentiary center, losing a large amount of weight in detention. There was a court order for his transfer to a health center, but it was ultimately ignored.|
|Daniela Figueredo||2021||Venezuela||Gunshot||Young detainee||Shot in the face by a police officer and killed at the age of nineteen. Human rights activists declared that the incident occurred when the officer tried to sexually abuse her.|
|Terry Peder Rasmussen||2010||United States||lung cancer, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease and pneumonia||Serial killer with six known victims. on December 28, 2010.|
|Jack Unterweger||1994||Austria||Suicide||Serial killer with estimated 12-15 victims|
- Category:People who died in prison custody
- Death in custody
- Lists of people by cause of death
- Prisoner suicide
- "John McAfee: antivirus entrepreneur found dead in Spanish prison". the Guardian. 2021-06-23. Retrieved 2021-06-23.
- "2 years before his death, John McAfee posted a tweet saying, 'If I suicide myself, I didn't. I was whackd.'". Business Insider. 2021-06-21. Retrieved 2022-12-15.
- "Mursi's death in Cairo prison raises fears for other inmates". Reuters. 27 June 2019. Retrieved 30 May 2020.
- "Egypt's ousted president Mohammed Morsi dies in court". BBC News. 17 June 2019. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Egypt's former president Mohamed Morsi dies: state media". Al Jazeera. 17 June 2019. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "Former Egyptian president Morsi dies during court hearing". The Jerusalem Post. 17 June 2019. Retrieved 17 June 2019.
- "AP source: Ponzi schemer Bernie Madoff dies in prison". Associated Press. April 14, 2021. Archived from the original on April 14, 2021.
- Steinberg, Marty; Cohn, Scott (April 14, 2021). "Bernie Madoff, mastermind of the nation's biggest investment fraud, dies at 82". CNBC.
- "Disgraced financier, Ponzi scheme architect Bernie Madoff dies in prison". Jerusalem Post. Reuters. April 14, 2021.
- Rothfeld, Michael; Baer, Justin (April 14, 2021). "Bernie Madoff Dead at 82; Disgraced Investor Ran Biggest Ponzi Scheme in History". The Wall Street Journal.
- Linder, Douglas O. (1997). "The Leopold and Loeb Trial: A Brief Account". University of Missouri–Kansas City School of Law. Archived from the original on 15 March 2007. Retrieved 11 April 2007.
- Purs, Aldis; Plakans, Andrejs (2017). Historical Dictionary of Latvia (Third ed.). Lanham: Rowman & Littlefield Publishers. p. 102. ISBN 9781538102213. LCCN 2016056922.
- Pillay, Verashni (2007-09-12). "Keeping Steve Biko alive". News24. Archived from the original on 2007-10-17. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Price, Lisa (May 8, 1996). "Serial killer's property set to go on the auction block". CNN. Archived from the original on March 15, 2008.
- Stout, David (2001-01-23). "Byron De La Beckwith Dies; Killer of Medgar Evers Was 80". The New York Times. Archived from the original on 2008-12-07. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- "Granny killer found dead in cell". The Sydney Morning Herald. Australian Associated Press. 10 September 2005. Archived from the original on 19 September 2020.
- Gray, Stephen (29 February 2012). "Exercise yard fall contributed to death of 'Gay Slayer', inquest hears". PinkNews. Archived from the original on 10 June 2013.
- Meltzer, Dave (July 29, 2018). "Brian Christopher pronounced brain dead after suicide attempt". Wrestling Observer Newsletter. Archived from the original on July 8, 2019. Retrieved July 29, 2018.
- Rydland, Julie (29 August 2013). "Congo: Prisoner took his own life". The Norway Post. Aftenposten. Archived from the original on 12 October 2013. Retrieved 11 October 2013.
- Morris, Steven (2007-09-20). "Serial Murder and the Psychology of a Sexual Sadist: Frederick West". New Criminologist. Archived from the original on 2011-07-14. Retrieved 2009-01-18.
- "'King of Robbery' Yip Kai-foon dies of cancer". RTHK. 19 April 2017. Archived from the original on 18 May 2017.
- "Relatan cómo fue la muerte del concejal Carlos Andrés García" [Told how the death of councilor Carlos Andrés García was]. EP Mundo (in Spanish). 19 September 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Muere un concejal opositor venezolano que estaba preso, su familia denuncia que no recibió atención médica" [A Venezuelan opposition councilor who was imprisoned dies, his family denounces that he did not receive medical attention]. Univision (in Spanish). 18 September 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Arenas, Macky (19 September 2017). "Venezuela consternada: ¿De qué murió el concejal Carlos Andrés García?" [Venezuela in dismay: What did councilor Carlos Andrés García die of?]. Aleteia (in Spanish). Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "TSJ informó que concejal Carlos García recibió atención médica en agosto" [TSJ reported that councilman Carlos García received medical attention in August]. El Nacional (in Spanish). 18 September 2017. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Jailed ex-Venezuela oil minister Nelson Martinez dies
- "Conozca las 10 claves de la muerte del concejal Fernando Albán". Efecto Cocuyo (in Spanish). 11 October 2018. Retrieved 12 October 2018.
- Olmo, Guillermo D. (10 October 2018). "3 incógnitas que rodean la muerte del dirigente opositor venezolano Fernando Albán". BBC News Mundo. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- Lozano Daniel (10 October 2018). "El opositor venezolano que según el chavismo se suicidó 'tenía agua en los pulmones'". El Mundo (in Spanish). Retrieved 5 March 2019.
- "Tarek Saab asegura que hay «falta de transparencia» en proceso de CPI". Analítica (in Spanish). 2021-05-01. Retrieved 2021-05-12.
- "Autopsia al cadáver de Rafael Acosta Arévalo revela lesiones graves por posible golpiza" [Autopsy on the corpse of Rafael Acosta Arévalo reveals serious injuries due to possible beating]. Tal Cual (in Spanish). 2 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Filtran autopsia del capitán Acosta Arévalo que confirma que fue torturado" [Leaked autopsy of Captain Acosta Arévalo, confirming that he was tortured]. El Nacional (in Spanish). 3 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Phillips, Tom (4 July 2019). "Venezuela: UN report accuses Maduro of 'gross violations' against dissenters". The Guardian. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- Bocaranda, Nelson (30 June 2019). "¿Acaso un segundo Albán? ¿Torturas en Dgcim provocaron la muerte al C.C. Acosta Arévalo?" [Maybe a second Albán? Torture in DGCIM caused death to C.C. Acosta Arévalo?]. Runrunes (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 9 July 2019. Retrieved 12 July 2019.
- "Inmate who survived execution attempt dies; COVID suspected". AP. December 29, 2020. Retrieved December 29, 2020.
- "Autopsia reveló que pemón Salvador Franco falleció por tuberculosis y desnutrición". Tal Cual (in Spanish). 2021-01-05. Retrieved 2021-07-08.
- "El preso político indígena Salvador Franco murió por falta de atención médica en una cárcel del régimen de Maduro". Infobae. 3 January 2021.
- "Foro Penal: Falleció en El Rodeo II el preso político pemón Salvador Franco". El Nacional. 2021-01-03.
- "Denunciarán ante ONU asesinato de mujer bajo custodia del Estado en Venezuela". Deutsche Welle. 16 March 2021. Retrieved 25 March 2021.
- "Alimentos y seguridad por sexo, el drama de las presas venezolanas, por Carlos Nieto Palma". Runrunes. 2021-03-19. Retrieved 2021-03-25.
- "AN opositora presentará caso de Daniela Figueredo ante oficina de Bachelet y Cidh" (in European Spanish). El Pitazo. 2021-03-17. Retrieved 2021-03-25.
- Downey, KC (June 6, 2019). "Case timeline: Killer Terry Peder Rasmussen, also known as "Bob Evans"". WMUR-TV. Retrieved June 7, 2019.
- "AG: Man who killed woman, 3 children in Allenstown also killed missing Manchester woman". WFXT. January 26, 2017. Retrieved January 21, 2020.
- "Timeline of serial killer Terry Rasmussen's terror in New Hampshire, California". WBAL. March 18, 2020. Retrieved April 7, 2020.
- Atkinson, Rick (3 August 1994). "Killer Prose". The Washington Post. Retrieved 6 August 2018.
- Czech language article about the victim from Prague
- Malnic, Eric (June 30, 1994). "Austrian Slayer of L.A. Prostitutes Kills Self". Los Angeles Times. ISSN 0458-3035.